Work Experience takes place in Semester 2 and is an important part of our Careers Education program and SET planning. All students are expected to participate in the Work Experience program from Tuesday 22nd June to Friday 25th June 2021. Students attend school on Monday 21st June for a Work Experience Preparation Session.
Work Experience week is part of a long tradition for year 10 students at Wavell State High School. During the last week of Semester 1, the entire cohort of students are given the opportunity to experience the world of work for four full working days. During this time, they are placed with employers using the Education Queensland Work Agreement which provides Work Cover insurance and indicates the scope of work to be undertaken by the students.
It is important for students to first attempt finding their own Work Experience placement. The skills they develop in seeking work placement are invaluable and helps them develop confidence in the world outside of school. It also assures that students get the Work Experience placement they want.
Students receive comprehensive guidance and support from a team of dedicated staff throughout Semester 1 to help them find and secure placements and prepare them for their work week. To assist students with managing the process more autonomously, resources, information and updates are available online via the school website as well as on the School Intranet.
We look forward to a successful year with our Work Experience Program. If you have any questions regarding work experience please contact Mrs Ruby Peinke on 3350 0368 or email email@example.com.
Work Experience Key Dates & Deadlines
- 5th March: Work Preference Form
- 7th May: Work Provider Details (Cut-off date for own placement)
- April and May: Finalise and secure placement (return signed work agreement within 2 weeks of receipt)
- 21st June: WEX Workshop at school (Important orientation session)
- 22nd to 25th June: Attend Work Place (School monitoring via visits & phone calls)
- 6th August: WEX Wrap Up & Recognition (In-school event)
Mrs Ruby Peinke
(07) 3350 0368; H07 or H06; firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: All work agreements MUST be processed through the school.
Documents and Resources
Complete and submit to the work experience office.