The Wavell SHS Sport Excellence Program recognises the importance of providing students with a
fulfilling and challenging education that allows young student athletes to develop their sporting
talent, while building confidence, communication and leadership skills.
Students with demonstrated ability in Netball and Rugby League are supported through mentoring,
training and education from nationally accredited and industry experienced coaches.
The Sport Excellence Program has a values based focus with a clear goal of holistically developing
students who can contribute positively to society. To maintain their position in the program students
must uphold a high standard in behaviour, effort and self-discipline.
All students in the program will satisfy the curriculum requirements for their stage of schooling as
determined by Education Queensland and the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority.
These students will also have access to well-structured developmental programs of sports coaching
and training by highly qualified staff.
The Sporting Excellence curriculum is designed for students who are interested in developing their
skills with a view to making them more competent not only as a player but as a coach, manager,
trainer or official. Additionally, related topics such as sports nutrition, strength and conditioning,
competition preparation and psychology are studied.
There are three stages of the Sports Excellence Program.
Stage 1 – Foundation (Year 7 & 8)
Stage 2 – Development (Year 9 & 10)
- 2 curriculum lessons per week
- Sport each week
- Participation in specialised clinics and elite competitions.
Stage 3 – Specialist (Year 11 & 12)
- 3 curriculum lessons per week
- Sport each week
- Participation in specialised clinics and elite competitions
The Wavell sporting excellence programs are now offering free physiotherapy triage two mornings a week. This is open to all students enrolled within both Rugby League and Netball programs and take place in the schools high performance gym. Four appointments of 15 minute intervals are available on Tuesday mornings 7:30-8:30am for all Rugby League Excellence students and Thursday mornings at the same times for Netball Excellence students.
Bookings can be made through our School Online Booking System.
Key points to note:
- Your child must previously had returned their permission slips and all appointments can be made via the below link.
- No appointment, no triage.
- Triage is an assessment based practice and serves the purpose of identifying key physical trauma that may require additional follow up and treatment. You may find that your child is issued with a request to attend the clinic for further analysis/ongoing treatment which will incur cost.